Are you a conscious hamster owner? Indeed, you wish to ensure that your hamster has a healthy diet. You can consider making your own homemade hamster food or food mix by using simple ingredients.
How to Make Hamster Food? –You can make homemade hamster food by preparing a dry mix of essential food items with a number of ingredients, including dry fruits, nuts, legumes, and veggies. Homemade food for your hamster is the best source of ample nutrition.
How to Make a Homemade Hamster Mix?
You can make your own homemade mix for your lovely pet with the help of easy ingredients from the local market. To top it all, you can also think about enhancing the store-bought food for your hammy with grains, nuts, fruits, and veggies. Ensure that you are talking about any dietary changes with your vet. This will allow you to make sure that your pet is receiving access to all essential nutrients required by his body.
Creating a Dry Mix for Your Pet
Hamsters require a proper food mix –preferably a dry food mix. You can prepare the dry mix for your furry buddy by mixing veggies, fruits, nuts, grains, and legumes. If you wish to prepare the homemade hamster food mix all by yourself, you can consider mixing a variety of dried foods together.
- Hamsters –just like human beings, require access to proper fats, proteins, and carbohydrates. These are referred to as macronutrients. The main role of the given diet is to ensure that the entire body is functioning properly. A combination of vegetables low in starch, nuts, and seeds is important for ensuring the overall well-being of the hamster.
- You can also come across dry food mixes for hamsters across pet stores. These mixes usually feature ingredients like dried fruits, dried maize, beans, peas, alfalfa sprouts, and barley. You can come across a wide variety of such food mixes at your local grocery store as well. Once you buy them, you can mix a considerable portion of these foods for preparing the homemade hamster food.
Typically, hamsters will require around 10 to 12 grams of the given mix on a daily basis. However, depending on the overall size, your pet might require a greater or a smaller portion of the recommended diet.
- While preparing the homemade hamster food mix, it is suggested to keep looking for additives. One of the benefits of purchasing a store-based mix is that it is especially made for a hamster. The presence of added ingredients in human-based processed foods can turn out harmful for your pet. Therefore, you should opt for organic products while feeding your hamster. Try avoiding foods or ingredients that are high in salt, sugar, saturated fats, and preservatives.
- You can always think of enhancing the hamster food that you are preparing. Whether you think of giving your hammy a shop-bought or a homemade food mix, include ample veggies and fruits into the diet. It will help in creating a similar diet to what your hammy is used to eating in the wild.
How to Make Your Own Hamster Food Mix?
In a typical hamster food mix, you will mostly come across a healthy mixture of different types of seeds and legumes. The given mixes do not necessarily include just the seeds. Additionally, you can also consider adding other types of grains or grasses to the diet. Some grain options include oats and wheat, along with dried veggies and fruits. If your hammy is going to consume smaller portions of all the given ingredients, then he will have a relatively balanced diet.
Making Healthy Hamster Food Mix on Your Own
In addition to the wide assortment of healthy food options available out there, you can also consider preparing a wide range of healthy treats for your hammy. Your little creature will be happier and more satisfied when you give special, healthy rewards on special occasions.
- You can prepare a fun pudding-like healthy treat by using bananas, lemon juice, raisins, and honey. Mash up a banana and mix lemon juice. Add a teaspoon of honey and raisins. Mix together and serve your little creature.
- You can also think of making delicious & healthy hamster biscuits prepared with a nut spread (including almond butter or peanut butter). To the spread, you can add ingredients like a wide range of finely-chopped veggies, cheerios, sunflower seeds, fresh bread, and a smaller portion of cheese. Spread the same on a slice of bread. Stick some veggies and cereals on top. Place the delicious treat in your hammy’s cage.
What is the best food mix for hamsters?
- Smaller portions of fresh and dried fruits, veggies, and herbs
- Commercial hamster pellets (not the typical muesli-style food mix). You can purchase these at a local grocery or a pet store.
- Timothy hay
- Constant access to fresh drinking water
- Occasional treats including mealworms, eggs, or nuts
How do you make a hamster seed mix?
In addition to fresh fruits & veggies, hamsters also require access to healthy fats available in nuts and seeds. Therefore, you can think of including seeds or nuts like sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews, peanuts, and a wide assortment of other nuts and seeds to the daily diet of your hamster.
Hamsters are known to consume nuts and seeds quite quickly. This is because they are naturally drawn to fat-rich food items. Therefore, offer them a seed mix only in moderation.
What household foods can I feed my hamster?
In your kitchen itself, you can come across a myriad of food options for your little pet. Right from legumes to grains (oats and wheat), seeds, nuts, and fruits & veggies, there are several options for a healthy and nutrient-rich diet for your pet.
Before you start any new feeding regimen for your hamster, it is recommended to talk to your vet. Hamsters require proper nutrients and vitamins for being healthy throughout. If you are preparing hamster food yourself, you need some expert guidance. This will ensure that your pet lives a fuller, healthy life.